Revenue audit & tax investigations
Tax investigations can take place for many reasons; sometimes individuals are randomly selected, and being chosen does not necessarily imply any suspicion of wrongdoing. However, being subject to an investigation or negotiating a settlement with the Revenue can be very time consuming, costly and stressful.
A global crackdown on tax evasion is underway. The Revenue has been in the spotlight due to recent high-profile investigations into companies based in Ireland. An increase in personal tax investigations covering any aspect of potential liability has also been reported.
In this environment, having skilled investigators and negotiators on your side, who specialise in dealing with Revenue enquiries, is essential to protect your best interests.
Having the right support can also ease the burden if you’re faced with an intrusive enquiry and improves your chances of a fair and favourable outcome.
Meeting your needs
Our experts include a former Inspector of Taxes who has extensive experience dealing with tax investigations. Our goal is to provide clear, pragmatic advice to benefit our clients in this process.
We have a long track-record of dealing with enquiries from the Revenue, with whom we have a strong working relationship. You can be assured that the advice you receive is based on live, relevant understanding and leading technical expertise.
We ensure you reach the end of a tax enquiry with the minimum of stress and disruption, and only pay taxes that are properly due. Our team is very familiar with the relevant law and practice and will seek to resolve any enquiries tax investigations promptly.
How we can help
- Single-issue disputes: Advising on and acting in technical disputes with the Revenue relating to single issues.
- Formal enquiries: Advising on and acting in formal enquiries dealt with at local or regional Revenue level.
- Special investigations: Advising on and acting in the most serious cases where Revenue's Special Investigations office is involved.
- Support: Explaining the enquiry process and taxpayer rights, advising on next steps and providing assistance should an agreement fail to be reached.
- Extensions: Where necessary, negotiating an extension to a deadline where information has been requested.
- Tribunals and litigation: Critical examination of documentary evidence and providing expert evidence and cross-examination arguments for your legal team.
- Forensics: Helping to mine data in response to requests from the Revenue.
- Fee protection: Clients can gain protection against certain professional fees incurred as a result of tax investigations.
We have helped numerous clients successfully conclude tax investigations. Based in Dublin, we are well aware of local tax issues and precedents, as well as the objectives and requirements of the Revenue.
Our team comprises former Revenue Inspectors, as well as chartered accountants and chartered tax advisers. You will have a single, experienced point of contact who has the technical knowledge and skill to carefully guide you through each step of the investigation.
Our partners have an average of 20 years’ experience bringing a wealth of experience and exceptional continuity of service to clients of the firm.