As of September 2020, Smith & Williamson is now part of the Tilney Smith & Williamson group. We have been looking after the financial affairs of individuals, families and businesses for more than a century.
We aim to deliver imaginative yet pragmatic advice and solutions tailored to your individual circumstances. We achieve this by taking the time to get to know you and to understand your objectives, needs and aspirations, as well as the longer-term challenges you’re likely to face.
Our approach is the same, regardless of whether you’re an individual, family or business client, although these interests are often intrinsically linked. We act as a trusted adviser to help you grow, manage and preserve wealth.
Smith & Williamson has been managing the financial affairs of private clients and their business interests for over a century.
Founded in Glasgow in 1881, the firm has grown and evolved over the years to offer a wide range of complementary services.
We merged with NCL (Securities) Limited (incorporating Cunningham Coates in Northern Ireland) in 2002 and with Solomon Hare, a UK accounting and financial advisory firm in 2005. These mergers, along with the 2011 acquisition of the tax business of Begbies Traynor, have contributed to our growth and success.
We’re now among the ten largest firms of accountants in the UK* and our investment management business has around £22.9 billion of funds under management**.
With over 1,800 people in 12 offices across the UK, Ireland and Jersey, our firm provides a distinctive range of financial and professional services to meet the needs of our clients.
*According to the latest survey of the market by Accountancy Age
**As at 31 December 2019
Smith & Williamson in numbers
Around £21.9bn of funds under management and advice
(as at 30 June 2020)
8th largest UK accountancy firm
(Source: Accountancy Age, 2019)
Access to international markets and over 850 M&A specialist advisors in over 45 countries through Oaklins International, Inc.
Our vision is embedded in the business – in our culture, values and behaviours. By clearly articulating this vision, we achieve a greater shared focus and enable our people to see how their day-to-day work aligns with our overall aims.
Our vision is to:
- continue to be a leading independent provider of a range of financial services, with a specific focus on our core market of private clients and their business interests
- manage business risk to ensure that the interests of our clients continue to be at the forefront of everything we do
- be respected for the quality of our client service and trusted adviser approach
- be known for the depth and breadth of our service offering, with a national presence around the UK and international reach through Nexia International
- generate returns to sustain and grow the business by putting clients at the centre of our business
- foster an environment that develops, motivates and retains our people, and enables clients to receive suitable, professional advice and continuity from their individual adviser
- reward our key stakeholders – staff, partners and shareholders – while putting our clients’ best interests first
- ensure that current employees and partners who share our culture and values can build an ownership stake in the business, and that former employees and partners can retain an interest.
Find out more and stay connected
Smith & Williamson’s experts offer valuable insights into tax, investment and business strategies across a range of current trends and issues.
We run a range of events throughout the year on a breadth of topics. View the list of upcoming events and past webinars and watch the recordings at a time that suits you.
We host several webinars on a range of topics, which you can watch online at a time that suits you.
We aim to help you make better decisions by delivering practical insights on key personal finance and business questions. From discussions with our industry experts, plus interviews with leading entrepreneurs, we’ve got it covered.
We have 11 offices across the UK and Ireland, including; Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Dublin City, Dublin Sandyford, Glasgow, Guildford, Jersey, London, Salisbury and Southampton. Click the button below to find out more about our office locations and contact information.
To find out more about the latest developments within Smith & Williamson and our financial performance, you can read our latest annual report and financial statements here.