This Charity Trustee Training webinar provided the opportunity to learn more about trustee responsibilities and the financial challenges for charities.
Topics covered were:
The uncertain outlook for investment income
Luke Hunter, Associate Director, Birmingham office
Smith & Williamson Investment Management LLP
Many charities traditionally rely heavily on income derived from their investment portfolios. The dramatic deterioration in the global economic backdrop that has evolved in 2020 has led to a significant decline in income flows which is set to challenge charities’ ability to meet their targets. Luke addressed the following issues:
- How the corporate landscape has altered and how it may recover when confidence returns
- Whether the future economic backdrop offers new opportunities for income generation
- Alternative asset allocation options away from the perceived reliable traditional sources
- Income in a low interest rate environment.
Charity Legal Update
Adam Williams, Principal Associate, Birmingham
Mills & Reeve LLP
Navigating the changing legal landscape requires a good understanding of the latest developments. Adam highlighted the most relevant events of the last 12 months including:
- The CIFF case and implications of the ruling for members of charitable companies
- Charity Commission guidance on holding meetings online or over the telephone during the pandemic
- The level of support that can be given to trading subsidiaries during the current crisis
- The Charity Digital Code of Practice and refreshing the Charity Governance Code.