Areas of expertise
Employment Tax; Global Mobility; International Employment Tax; Income Tax; Employee Taxation; Employer Compliance; Social Security; Payroll compliance and advisory; IR35; Employment Status; Job Retention Scheme; Termination Payments; UK Benefits and Expenses; Non-Resident Directors; Business Visitors; HMRC Disclosures; Permanent Establishment; Flexible Working; Disguised Remuneration.
David is an International Employer Solutions Partner at Smith & Williamson specialising both Global Mobility and Employment Tax issues. Specifically, he advises clients on:
- Domestic employment tax matters, including IR35, national minimum wage compliance, taxable benefits and expenses, job retention scheme, termination payments and UK employer compliance including P11ds and PSAs.
- International global mobility issues, managing international employees and ensuring organisations are compliant from an income tax, social security, payroll and corporate risk perspective.
- Helping employers implement tax efficient policies to reduce the cost and administration of employer compliance on both a domestic and international level, including post-Brexit
- Handling broader taxation matters, including supporting entrepreneurial businesses looking to move from start up to growth phase, UK inbound set up, company secretarial services, Corporation Tax, VAT and R&D matters.
- Supporting HR and Tax teams in developing their people strategy, training and helping organisations become the employer of choice for their workforce, including implementing remote working models for the future of work.
David works with a variety of clients across many sectors, including consultancy, real estate, engineering, marketing, fintech and financial services.
Notable client work and achievements
- Executing a variety of employment tax related disclosure projects to HMRC involving non-compliant taxable benefits and expenses, as well as agreeing voluntary settlements within various areas for employers.
- Leading the global coordination of various FTSE media and engineering sector global mobility programmes.
- Supporting Smith & Williamson’s IR35 employment status offering and advising clients on determinations and supporting appeals/secondary reviews.
- Leading Job Retention Scheme audits for the firm, including claims, claim reviews and HMRC investigations/enquiry support.
- Supporting a number of employer compliance disclosures for clients, including Non-Resident Director compliance/Business Visitors to the UK, and addressing payroll/social security issues.
- Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) and Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT)