Areas of expertise
Indirect Tax; VAT; Mergers & Acquisitions; Cross Border Transactions; VAT policy; EU VAT; Financial Services VAT.
Sunil has 13 years of advising clients across all sectors in relation to Indirect Tax matters particularly UK and EU VAT.
Sunil joined Smith & Williamson in early 2018 after previously working for 3 of the Big 4 accountancy firms and also managing the global VAT affairs of a FTSE 100 banking group.
For 6 years of his career, Sunil focussed on advising clients on VAT matters specifically relating to Mergers & Acquisitions
Notable Client work and achievements
- Responsible for the Indirect Tax advice (long form report, structuring etc) in relation to the Royal Mail IPO and several high profile global M&A transactions in recent years.
- Advising clients and working closely with HMRC and leading software developers in the run up to HMRC’s Making Tax Digital for VAT implementation date of 1 April 2019.
- Represented various parties on relevant VAT trade bodies and societies such as the BVCA and LIBA often involving in depth discussions with HMRC policy teams.
- Chartered Accountant (‘CA’) - Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- Charted Tax Advisor (‘CTA’) - Chartered Institute Of Taxation (CIOT)