Selling a business is often one of the most significant events of an entrepreneur’s life. It may be the culmination of decades of hard work and sacrifice, and is likely to fundamentally change your personal financial position. Preparing properly for a business sale will vastly improve your chances of achieving a fair value and a smooth sale process. Timing the sale is key and the best approach can depend on a variety of factors, including your personal long-term ambitions.
The sale process itself can take many months, at a time when the continued prosperity of the business is crucial. There is a great deal to consider at all stages of the transaction process to preserve and enhance value, as well as to protect the company's long-term prospects.
Of course, the business opportunity case is of paramount importance but so are the structure and mechanics of the proposed deal.
How we work with you
Direct accessOur qualified team of professionals is at your service. When you speak to your adviser, you know they’re on top of the issues that affect you.
A tailored solutionWe offer a personal service. We provide regular reviews and recommendations tailored to your needs.
Co-ordinationYou will have your own personal adviser and they will handle all your requirements, drawing on the expertise of our specialist professionals as and when required.
Unique holistic financial planWe consider your investments, tax and financial planning when helping you decide what to do with the lump sum you receive from the sale of your business.
AdministrationWe take care of setting up and administering your plan.
Get in touch
We can help you take care of your finances, and ensure you make the most of your money today with the support of our wealth management experts.
What to consider when exiting your business
- Should I exit?
- Are my fellow shareholders and I eligible for tax reliefs such as Entrepreneurs' Relief?
- How do I manage subsidiaries (Trade Co, Hold Co etc.)?
- How do I extract cash efficiently if I am not exiting immediately?
- Do I need to incentivise other team members?
- How should I prepare the business for sale?
Structuring the sale
- What is my business worth?
- What type of exit is appropriate for me (trade sale, MBO, IPO etc.)?
- How do I negotiate cash/shares vs. earn out?
- Do I want to remain working within the business after exit?
- What is my succession plan?
- Will I retain an interest in the future development of the business?
- Are my interests aligned with the other shareholders? If not, am I protected?
Realising your investment
- What investment vehicles are appropriate for me and my family?
- What should I be considering when it comes to personal structuring after the event?
- How do I optimise my family’s tax and financial situation?
- Do I have enough to retire and still support my family?
- Would I enjoy other roles, for example supporting other growing businesses, becoming an angel investor, starting a new business or retiring completely?
How we can help
Please remember investment involves risk. The value of investments and the income from them can fall as well as rise and investors may not receive back the original amount invested. Past performance is not a guide to future performance.