Tax efficient savings and investments
With pension contributions subject to increasing restrictions, tax-efficient investments such as Venture Capital Trusts (VCTs) and Enterprise Investment Schemes (EISs) are an increasingly attractive option for certain people – such as those with significant income tax liabilities or wishing to defer capital gains - in addition to more mainstream savings such as ISAs.
If you’re looking for a long-term investment and are comfortable with a higher level of risk, then VCTs and EISs offer potentially significant relief from income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax. These tax breaks offered by the Government for investment in growing businesses are often subject to change, so it’s important to stay on top of these. The greater risk involved in these types of investment requires very careful consideration.
In addition, it’s prudent to make the most of more familiar tax-efficient ‘wrappers’, such as ISAs and NISAs and of both spouses’ tax allowances, particularly if you’re a higher rate taxpayer.
A trusted adviser
You’ll have direct access to our highly qualified team of professionals to ensure you have the advice you need to keep on top of any changes in legislation and to manage your exposure to risk.
You’ll receive a very personal service, tailored to your precise needs over the long term.
We don’t provide our own financial products so you can be sure you’ll get independent, fee-based advice on the widest possible selection of relevant pensions and financial planning products.
Our in-house colleagues include experienced tax planners who can provide you with a range of services where required.
How we can help
- Choice: Outlining the various types of tax-efficient investments available and advising on which might suit you best, ensuring you’re aware of the risks and managing these accordingly.
- EIS and Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme: Advice on these unquoted investments offering a variety of tax reliefs for investors prepared to accept a high level of risk.
- VCTs: Advice on these tax-incentivised investments aimed at stimulating growth in the economy, and which offer a variety of tax reliefs for investors prepared to accept a higher level of risk.
- Inheritance tax portfolios: Advice on investment in unquoted securities including AIM-listed stock that can benefit from 100% business property relief from inheritance tax.
- Business property renovation allowance: Advice on investment into unused commercial properties in certain designated areas benefiting from capital allowances that can reduce your income tax liability.
- Insurance based investments: Advice on regular endowments and single premium onshore and offshore investment bonds.
Risk warnings specific to EISs and VCTs
VCTs/EISs are unquoted investments which are highly illiquid, with investors potentially having difficulty in realising their investment at a given time. They should therefore only be considered as a long-term investment, i.e. over five years. They also carry the risk of potentially losing all or part of your capital investment and therefore the return of your capital is not guaranteed.
Our directors have an average of 20 years’ experience.
Named 'Top financial planning firm' by Find a Wealth Manager.
Our directors regularly contribute expert commentary on tax-efficient savings and investments in the press and financial publications.
Capital at risk. The value of investments and the income from them can fall as well as rise and you may not receive back the original amount invested.